The success of content marketing depends on how it can interact and engage with your audience. Rather than stuffing multiple contents, creating customer-focused content is the way to gather new leads and boost sales.
So, how do you create customer-focused content?
Before generating your content ideas, understand who, what and when drivers behind your content creation process. Ask your audience what they want and convert the product features into benefits. Ensure your consumers want your product and connect with them on a personal level.
When you can ensure these factors, you can generate excellent customer-focused content. Let’s elaborate on these ideas.
How Do You Create Customer-focused Content?
As a content marketer, you get to become familiar with the products and services of the business you are endorsing with. While it is extremely necessary, it can cause a gap between you and your customers.
Your customers want to know how a product or service can make their lives easier. However, most content creators focus on bringing out the excellent features they think the audience will need or want.
However, this may not be the best way to satisfy your customers with your content. You will need to conduct detailed research and connect with your audience on a personal level.
Here are 3 ways to be customer-focused and create content for consumers:
1. Understanding Your Audience
Understanding the appropriate situation your audience is in is the way to start planning for your content strategies. First of all, you should determine who is reading your content, what they want, and when they want it.
Identifying your target audience may not be much of a hassle. However, marketing, sales, and product teams consider markets and demographics instead of people.
When consumer profiles are developed without appropriate behavioral and attitudinal data are often one-dimensional and shallow.
So, to understand your audience, you will need to conduct detailed market research and gather as much data as possible. If you cannot find enough data, you can simply ask your audience what frustrates them and could make their lives easier.
You can collect crucial data by the following mediums:
- Customer interviews
- Testimonials and reviews
- Email surveys
- Chat logs
- Social media interactions and behaviors
- Website analytics and content performance
- Polls and surveys
- Keyword research tools
Find out the answers to important questions like:
- What is the goal of your audience?
- What problems does your audience face conducting their day-to-day operations?
- What is your audience looking for?
- What are the drivers and triggers behind the actions and needs of your audience?
- What is the mindset of your audience?
Keep your audience top of mind and have a clear picture of your audience. UX tools, thorough research, and appropriate content can help you in this manner. Conduct empathy mapping to add situational understanding and depth for your audience.
Don’t assume what your audience is thinking or feeling. Take appropriate actions to learn properly about your audience and keep them in mind while generating ideas for your content.
Tip: Learn how to reach a global audience and provide your business with the stepping stones it requires to thrive and expand.
2. Converting Features into Benefits
The product you are selling may contain excellent features beneficial for your audience. However, your audience does not care about those features; they want to know how they can be benefited from that product.
List the features that the product and service offer to your audience. Then explain how these features can help your audience make their lives easier.
For example, if you are selling an online course, mention what benefits that course offers your audience and what qualifies you to suggest to them the course.
Make sure to think about your audience while generating content and be honest with them about what they get from the products they buy. Thus, your content will be more audience-focused and generate better conversion.
3. Make Customers Want Your Products
Most marketers, including me, have been trained to meet the needs of the consumers while selling a product or service. While it is essential to meet needs, it is equally important to ensure that your audience wants the benefits you mentioned.
Motivate your consumers by mentioning your audience’s pleasure, pain, status, and comfort. Also, you can tap into certain values like patriotism, fairness, and justice, which are often intertwined with emotions. When these factors and values are used properly, they can touch your audience deeply and make lasting impressions.
Consumers convince themselves that things they want are better than what they need. While you are generating content for your audience, harness these wants behind the benefits you are offering. This will make your content more consumer-focused and will generate more sales.
Tips to Generate Consumer-focused Content
No cheat sheet can help you start generating consumer-focused content immediately. However, the following tips will help you to keep track of your content while generating and assist you in the long run.
- Maintain consistency: Make sure to maintain quality and type of information to build trust with your audience. When your audience knows what you will deliver, they will feel comfortable with your content and consider you a reliable source for information. This will help generate better conversion rates.
- Use the right words: Right words can make you connect with your audience more personally. When you can make your audience picture the results with your words, it will inspire them to purchase your product.
- Personalize: Communicate with your audience so that they can relate to your experience. This way, they will consider you as one of them rather than a tricky salesman.
- Tell your story and make it interesting: You need to connect with your audience to keep them interested in your content. Mention instances that your audience will find relatable. Deliver them value with your content, offer solutions, and guide them through tough times. These measures will make your content more audience-focused.
- Maintain your brand: Flashy content may turn heads, but they often fail to keep audiences interested. Don’t pretend to be something that you cannot deliver constantly. Make sure to align your content with your brand.
Skill-Surfing offers a course on developing Content Strategy. Using tools and tips to optimize and improve your content creation, you can create a content strategy that resonates with your ideal customers.
Content marketing success depends on how much your audience can relate to your content. When you put your effort into generating customer-focused content, it will do better in terms of generating leads and increasing sales.
If you are a business owner or starting your career as a content creator and want to generate customer-focused content, you can find numerous online courses to help you in this manner.
Give our content planning courses a check as well. We have designed the course to make it easier for you to understand and help you with your customer-focused content in the shortest possible time.